Today I’m doing something I have thought about doing pretty much forever: submitting my work to children’s book publishers! I can’t really believe it’s taken me this long, to be honest, but then again everything takes time right? I also think everything has a time, and for me the time is NOW to reach out, put myself out there, and introduce my work to the art directors of the kids publishing world. I started considering this seriously a while ago- probably as I was emerging from the fog of baby land- and it has been percolating ever since. We have a truly massive collection of picture books- both current and vintage- and they are a constant comfort and inspiration to me. I have been LOVING doing my (now deeply neglected!) daily postcards, and finding that I have lots of illustration ideas and drawings and paintings I really want to make. It’s funny how creating patterns feeds this side of my brain/work, and vice versa. I have lots of exciting pattern projects in the works post-Surtex and I promised myself that before I get too busy I would dedicate some time to this longstanding dream of illustrating a picture book. Today is the day I am making it happen. Here’s hoping!
I’m excited to present my new illustration portfolio! It premiered last week at Surtex NYC – a fabulous show, more on this later!- and now is available for all to see!! Many of my little paintings have been part of my instagram feed of daily postcards, some are brand new for the 2015 portfolio. I’ve fallen off the daily postcard wagon a bit, but I’ll be back on again before too long!! Hope you enjoy this collection of whimsy!!
A while ago I made a cloth word book for my pre-schooler, and we’ve been looking through it lots lately so I thought I’d blog about it! It was a super satisfying project although I did have some technical issues with the final binding- didn’t really think it all the way through and it was very fat when assembled- way too fat to fit in my regular old sewing machine. So I did some hand sewing and used my bookbinding training to piece it all together and so far it has withstood some rough handling. I drew the pictures, designed it all up and then had the fabric printed digitally. I lined the pages with quilt batten to make them more substantial which did contribute to the tricky sewing challenge but I think was worth it. I loved making the illustrations – I’m definitely inspired to do it again.